Ready? Let's begin! 😀
Creating the Zap
1. First, we'll create a new Zap in Zapier:
2. Select Intercom as your trigger app.
3. Choose Tag Added to User as your Trigger Event. If you wish to trigger your Zap for leads, select Tag Added to Lead instead. Click Continue.
4. Connect your Intercom account and click Continue.
5. Select the tag on which you want to trigger the Zap. In this case, we'll be using order-reminder-july as our tag. Click Continue. (Note: If you don't know how to create a new tag in Intercom, refer to this guide.)
6. Click on 'Do this ...'
7. Select Twilio as your app, and Send SMS as your Action Event. Click Continue.
8. Connect your Twilio account and click Continue.
9. Customize your SMS message. As you can see, we can make user of Intercom's dynamic data values to make sure we obtain the phone number of any user we tag. The SMS body can also be customized:
Here's another example:
10. If you wish, you can test your SMS, or click on Skip Test. Be careful not to send a message to one of your customers (unless you want to 😉)! Click on Done Editing.
11. When you're ready, turn your Zap on:
Using the Zap
1. In Intercom's Platform area, select a segment of users, of filter out those you wish to send a Message Template to:
2. Tag the users with the trigger tag we selected earlier:
3. That's it! The 13 users above will receive an SMS message. When they respond, Octopods will bring that response to Intercom, and you can continue the conversation as usual.
This was a simple demonstration of how to send an SMS message to a large number of users by tagging them in Intercom.
There are other, more complex ways you can take advantage of Zapier's capabilities. If you come up with your own Zaps, please let us know! We'd love to see how you and your team make use of this.