This guide will take you through the process of applying for a WhatsApp account with Twilio. The entire process can take two to four weeks.
If you're not familiar with what a provider is or what their pricing model looks like, please read this first:
Prerequisites: What you need before applying
1. A Twilio account. You can create one here for free: https://www.twilio.com/try-twilio
2. A Twilio phone number. You can purchase one here; it will cost you a minimum of $1 per month, depending on your region https://www.twilio.com/console/phone-numbers/search
3. A verified Facebook Business Manager ID. You can obtain this from your Facebook Business settings. (Please note: This is not the same as your Facebook page ID).
If your Facebook Business ID is not verified, follow the following instructions to obtain verification. The process takes about one week:
Facebook Business page verification (fb.com)
Step 1: Request Access with Twilio
To apply for a new WhatsApp account, fill in this form on Twilio's website:
You will need the following information for the form:
- Your Twilio Account SID, which you can find in your main Twilio console/dashboard.
- Your Facebook Business Manager ID. You can obtain this from your Facebook Business settings. (Please note: This is not the same as your Facebook page ID).
- For "I wish to provision this account with a 3rd party vendor", select No.
Step 2: Submit WhatsApp Business profile information
For this step, you'll need to make sure you have a Twilio number. You can purchase one: https://www.twilio.com/console/phone-numbers/search
Once you have a number, navigate to Programmable Messaging → WhatsApp Senders: https://www.twilio.com/console/sms/whatsapp/senders
Click on "+" and add the number you wish to use, along with your WhatsApp profile information (name, address, logo, etc.) Please ensure that you follow the guidelines mentioned on-screen:
You may also apply for message templates on the same page. These will be submitted for review alongside your WhatsApp account. Learn more about WhatsApp Templates ➚
Step 3: Approve Messaging Request in FB Business Manager
Once Twilio has submitted your profile for review to Facebook, you will receive an email and a message in your Facebook Business Manager to approve a "messaging on behalf of" request. This typically happens anywhere from 1 day to 1 week after submission.
You can view and approve this request through this link: https://business.facebook.com/settings/requests/received_requests
Or navigate to your Facebook Business Manager → Business Settings → Requests, as shown below:
Step 4: Twilio completes your account registration
Once step 3 is complete, Twilio will take over to process the rest of your application. After your account has been approved, Twilio will register your number, and they will send you a confirmation email.
Your account is now ready to be connected to Intercom.
Step 5: Connect account to Intercom
When your account is ready, follow this guide to connect it to Intercom: